Honestly, we need all the help we can get with our health this winter. With flu season being in full swing in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, it’s safe to say that lots of us are not feeling our best this year.
But there are things we can do every day to help our bodies out! Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Monroe Rd. highlights how you can help your immune system out.
How Can I Stay Healthy This Winter?
While the viral threats may be different from usual this year, experts say that you should still be using many of the same strategies to stay healthy that you use in a typical year, such as handwashing, maintaining a healthy diet, exercising and getting your annual vaccinations.
It’s tempting to try lots of trendy diets and supplements to provide more support for your health, but the truth is that consistently doing the things mentioned above, in addition to following the below-listed health-safety precautions, give you the best chance of staying healthy.
Extra Health-Safety Precautions
- Avoid large gatherings.
- Avoid close contact with others who aren’t in your immediate household.
- Wear a face mask over your nose and mouth in public.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds at a time.
How Does My Immune System Help?
The immune system is your body’s natural defense system. It’s an intricate network of cells, tissues and organs that band together to defend your body against invaders, such as viruses, bacteria and parasites. When your immune system is working properly, it can keep health problems ranging from cancer to the common cold at bay.
If you find yourself often feeling under the weather, it’s likely that you aren’t living a lifestyle conducive to a healthy immune system. Consider the suggestions that we’ve listed below to boost your immune system to stay healthy this winter.
Immune System Boosters
- Exercise for at least 150 minutes a week.
- Maintain a healthy diet of fruits, vegetables, healthy fats and lean proteins.
- Get an adequate amount of rest. For adults, this means between seven and nine hours of sleep each night.
- Manage your stress levels.
Our bodies are very strong and capable to fight off sicknesses, but there are things we can do to help! AFC Urgent Care Monroe Rd. wants you to stay well this year, but don’t hesitate to visit us if you do feel under the weather.